Thursday, September 27, 2007


I don't get doctors. I am frustrated with doctors. I have been seeing a doctor lately who is consistently late or out of town. The shortest I waited for an appointment with him was 35 minutes, the longest an hour and 20 minutes. And this same doctors nurse just called to cancel an appointment I have waited for two months to get therefore the appointment to go over the test that I was supposed to get at the first appointment has to be rescheduled because we can't go over test results before I have even had the test. I should probably call that nurse who got stuck making the phone calls today back because I really wasn't all that kind to her. I want to put my foot through this computer I am so frustrated and the computer didn't even do anything.

I don't understand the rules doctors live by. I think there's some hidden subculture in doctordom of ridiculousness. I think they sit at their little doctor meetings in their comfy scrubs wrapping their stethoscopes around their necks and testing each others reflexes trying to come up with the most outrageous policies with their messy handwriting. There is also a bookie there taking the over/under on how many people will put up with them. I think it is all part of the oath they take...

"I swear by Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygieia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses, making them my witnesses, that I will fulfill according to my ability and judgment this oath and this covenant: I will soak my hands in ice cubes then feel their neck for swollen glands. I will not be easily accessible. In good faith, I will make appointments to tell patients what doctor they need to see next instead of by a simple, easy phone call. If I fulfill this oath and do not violate it, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and art, being honored with fame among all men for all time to come; if I transgress it and swear falsely, may the opposite of all this be my lot."

4 comments:

katy said...

I have an eye dr. like that. I seriously had a 4 hour appt!!!!!

But there are some who are truly wonderful... who care for patients first... whose family suffers because they stay late... who keep finding cures

just like every profession... there are good ones.... then there are the others :) Sorry you have an "other"

Anonymous said...

UGH...
I feel your pain but I must say, with all your frustration, you can still write a pretty witty blog entry!
I think your brain is working fabulously...but then again, I'm not a Doctor and rarely keep you waiting, eh?

ylmurph said...

was Apollo Physician the guy who fought Rocky?

and don't you forget about Dr. Joe - he's one of the good ones...

Annie Michael Murphy said...

There are two good ones...Dr. Joe and Dr. Bob.