Tuesday, September 02, 2008

A second grader now lives in this house. We watched him board the bus like an old pro, find his seat with Kendrick and start greeting all of his old friends.

I have a lot of friends who have kids that were not so excited for this day. Griffin on the other hand could barely sleep last night. He went to bed almost shaking with excitement. He slept with a smile on his face and woke up giggling. He told me last night before he fell asleep, "The suspense is killing me! It feels like Christmas is tomorrow!" I want to bottle that excitement just in case he doesn't feel this way in 10 years.

Conversely, I have not been excited for this day. I could barely sleep because I was nervous about second grade. I don't know why and I realize it is ridiculousness. This year he is a little fish in a big pond. Second to sixth grade seems like such a huge age difference. I am worried he won't be able to find his class, lose his lunch box, someone will be mean, he'll get lost finding the bathroom. And the whole time, I will be at home, unable to swoop in and save him.

My swooping days are coming to an end...

4 comments:

Daniel Kalbach said...

At least you can touch up that faux-hawk when he gets home.

M. said...

Only an aunt, but I feel ya sista!

jmjana said...

you forget that teachers can help you swoop in :) i hope his day was awesome!!!

Teresa said...

I feel your pain. Austin started junior high this year. That means changing classes, lockers and learning how to open his lock in record time. It's hard, I know. Hang in there sister!