Thursday, December 04, 2008

'Tis the Season


Christmastime is in full swing at the house of Murph. We decked some halls, trimmed a tree, greened the ... things needed greening. Busy times. I am realizing I get wound up easily and it doesn't take much. Perhaps some may say high strung. It has been absolutely nutso around here. The list is still long of things needing done but and here is my new philosophy, it'll get finished or it won't.


So my pledge for the next 6 weeks is to relax, calm down and enjoy this time. My new mantra came to me when were unpacking all of decorations and I was so afraid the kids would break something that it became very unfun for everyone. So I walked to the other room and decided it really doesn't affect one part of my life if one thing breaks, if it breaks, we will clean it up.


I am deciding to make good, fun, healthy memories and let the kids be kids instead of making them think things are more important than them. I want to encourage creativity, I do not want them to fear mommy being angry because a $3 silver star is broken. I want to encourage risk taking, I want to encourage chance taking, I want them to experiment with their lives. We will be here as a safe landing pad full of encouragement when they fail but I'd rather they risk and fail rather than be fearful, timid, or safe players.


This is of course until tomorrow when I blow a fuse.

3 comments:

Peggy Murphy said...

Great pictures! And that Charlie Brown shirt couldn NOT be cuter on Cooper!

Anonymous said...

I am the one who broke an old glass, "Our First Christmas" ornament this year...not one of the kids!!! I was bummed....but realized it was only an ornament!!! Stacy bought it in the cute little town of Helen, GA and gave it to me on our first Christmas! Ahhh....what a guy! heehee! His comment when I told him I broke it was...."you should have stuck your foot under it to break the fall!" :-) Thanks for posting the pics....you have a wonderful season ahead of you with those three!!! I miss you tons!
Kim

John Arns said...

great model for the kids, Annie ! you're building memories they'll cherish their entire lives.