Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Disclaimer: I LOVE THE OLYMPICS

Last night we sat down to watch the games of the XXIX Olympiad. And of course after a rousing Trampoline competition, we were hunkered down for a ping pong match. And what a match it was. I couldn't believe the athletic prowess of those gentle giants. They were nimble like cats and ferocious as ...
OK, really?
It isn't even called ping pong. It is apparently called Table Tennis. The table is in the middle of a huge empty room so Griffin is convinced the table is smaller than the one at Peggy's house. They hold their paddles in an odd way and do fancy throwing up of the ball (if that's what they even call it) before they serve and I even heard grunting.
Now the table tennis ball, they only use one. They don't even have someone to shag it for them after each point, they have to run and get it themselves. Even at Aunt Pegs there is a bowl of extras. Those guys look like morons as they chase a mini bouncing ping pong ball around a huge empty space. I think I'd complain.
We watched for a couple of points and finally Griffin said, "I can't believe this is in the Olympics." And I must say, I agree.

And P.S. There was a North Korean shooter that got 2 medals taken away after he failed the banned substance tests. Seriously? Shooting a gun and banned substances? Isn't that Oreos and water?

2 comments:

alisaferrara said...

Cooper is the cutest, but I must say my attention is drawn more to the floating legs being carried thru the door on the left

Peggy Murphy said...

Alisa's comment made me laugh out loud..

And the Olympics will have a Murphy or two in the future...maybe giving Michael Phelps a run for his 8 medal count.

Can someone compete in more than one sport?
I'm thinking of gun shooting, if I can lay off the no-doze...
and of course, "table tennis" (but I'll have extra in my pocket)

and badminton, since I now know how to spell it.