Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I had a etymological surprise yesterday. I was talking with a girlfriend who used a phrase I had never heard before.

In an ideal world, Sean and I would be leaving Sunday to go visit her and her husband and do some work with them for a couple weeks. But sigh, that's not the case.

She told me "it is bucketing down." Any guesses? All I can hear is the brogue and it makes our non plans for next week sadder. Apparently it is raining cats and dogs and we would have needed raincoats. Ah well, at least it should be sunny in OH.

PS This is also the friend that Griffin said of her husband, "You didn't tell me he'd sound like a leprechaun."

1 comment:

Peggy Murphy said...

OK, three things abou this post made me miss Ireland...

1) the mere mention of the word "leprechaun" sets me heart a-twrilin'

2) the gorgeous picture

3) "Bucketing down"
I love the odd phrases that they use "across the pond"

When one stays at a bed and breakfast, the host will ask before you retire if you want a "knockup"...which mean "a wake up knock on your door"
My heart stopped for a second when I first heard that one.
slainte.