Thursday, March 05, 2009


Sometimes I really think certain people in certain jobs should find themselves a different job in a different field so they don't have to trudge through the everydayness of life and be mad and jerkish to people. Every person is not created to do any job they want.

For instance...

Last night I took all the littles and we went to a place where quiet is the norm, books abound and you don't have to pay for them, lots of glasses...I may or may not agree that this is the library, I don't know what kind of connections Lady 1 has. Griffin has a project to do on a famous American and he chose Neil Armstrong (Grif also thinks he can get Neil to accompany him to class the day of his presentation since Neil lives so close). So I figured he could do some research the old fashioned way instead of only on the Internet. This is the establishment that we go to at least once a week for 2 year old story time with Miss Cheryl who is wonderful and not to be confused with anyone in this story.

I will agree we probably overstayed our welcome and my kids were not behaving. I had three kids that wanted four different types of 'material' this 'place' offers. Two thirds of my people were doing puzzles at a table 4 feet away from me in the kids area (offering this type of area would lead one to believe there is some level of kid tolerance) and the third was looking for things on Neil. Griffin and I asked Lady 2 to help us find an audio recording of the first moon landing. Lady 2, "Oh sure, this is so great when kids your age use [this place] for school projects. I'd be happy to help you." At this point Cooper and Parker get a little surly and come looking for us in the aisle 13 feet away yet still in the kids area.

Enter Lady 1. "Children." (marker that she doesn't deal with them often - people don't really say that very often anymore) "Children, where is your mother?"

Then I hear the pitter patter of little feet and more like non pitter pattering of non little feet coming to find me.

Of course I tell them they are acting like maniacs and they need to sit down with the puzzles and (let's just call them books for the sake of ease) 'books'.

Lady 2 "Yes, ma'am, if they are 7 or under they need to be with you, by your side, at all times."

Me "OK thank you. We are trying to gather our 'books' and we'll be done. We are having a hard time finding some things that the computer says are on the 'shelves'.

Lady 2 "Ah well, that's because kids (pause and nod at my two) pull them and return them to the wrong places."

WOWZER. I was honestly left speechless which is probably good, we were already making a scene. I think there are times when speechlessness has saved me. I of course think of the best, wittiest, albeit scathing and sarcastic retorts the minute I am removed from a situation.

I really just wanted to ask her if she saw the kids playing tag or the girl doing cartwheels in the aisle or if she got forced into the family business and wished she could have been a dancer or if she accidentally signed up for the wrong classes at Baxter U. But I didn't, aloud.

And why is spellcheck back today?

2 comments:

Tracey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OK...I am laughing pretty dern hard here.
This is a Saturday Night Live skit in the making, I believe.

And what the &%$#@!* is your obsession with spill chek?
Can't you use a dern dictionery like the res of us??