Thursday, November 06, 2008


The Murphy's have mowed their last lawn for '08. I am the mower of the lawns in this house and couldn't be happier about it. I know there are those who think its a mans job but for 65 minutes once a week or every 4 days or every other week depending on what season it is, SMM and I turn our nose up at gender roles and I mow the grass and he is the primary care taker of the littles.

I feel like that is a little chance that I have to think and be by myself and not worry about anything but running over my own foot. Of course there are times someone needs me and I throw my hands up, shake my head and yell, "I CAN'T HEAR YOU, THIS MOWER IS LOUD. YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL I AM DONE MOWING THIS WHOOOOOLE YARD, THE WHOLE THING, AND I JUST STARTED AND I MAY DO THE NEIGHBORS TODAY TOO. SO GO BACK INSIDE AND TELL DAD THAT YOU NEED YOUR DINNER MADE, HELP WITH YOUR HOMEWORK AND THAT YOUR BROTHER HIT YOU BECAUSE I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'M MOWING THE GRASS."

Well last night was a battle between light and dark. I started with what I thought was just enough to finish before the sun went down and I just happened to be wrong this time. We played a new game at breakfast, Fruit Loops and Crop Circles.

So goodbye lawn mower, goodbye gas can and goodbye nasty green shoes, I will see you after this crap called winter. For now, I am off to repair the damage of the dark and I must do it now, for I only have one more hour of sunlight today.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I love to mow the lawn too! Definitely not a man's job.

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

annie. this post was awesome. it seriously made me want to write a short story using your voice. i might do it. i will miss you not being in texas, my friend. much LOVE.