Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Kristenic thoughts


I get really bored really easily. I don't feel like I am the only one, I feel like that is part of being a human. It seems like we are out for something more, we want to do something. How often as kids or moms have we said or heard, "Mom, I'm bored." Except it sounds like, "Mooooommmm, I'm borrrrrreddddduuuuhhhhhh."

What is it about us that is so unsettled? Why do we crave something more? What is in us that longs for excitement? In my house there are three of us who get bored easily and two that are thrilled by everything. A jack-in-the-box is unending entertainment. Peek-a-boo becomes War and Peace.

There are things about Gods character that I can't wrap my brain around. There are things that I will continue to try to understand. To say those things fascinate me is a gross understatement. I can not wait to have forever to sit and ask questions.

There is a book I'm reading that sort of addresses those things. There are times when the boredom becomes despair that lives in me, consumes me and starts to physically hurt. Here is the difference that I have found...I know the source of adventure and excitement. I know the One that can thrill me. (I don't always choose to get filled by Him which leads to a whole other set of questions.) My insides really want to know Him and be known by Him, to have Him be what I long for. As I continue to live, that is my heart.

"[God] is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, 'Do it again' to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them."
-G.K. Chesterton

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other day I was complaining of boredom at work, today I am wishing for a MOMENT of boredom...it is ridic. busy at work. Somehow I still managed to find a minute to add blog comments though...interesting how that works out;) Is it Friday yet??

Annie Michael Murphy said...

thanks liz. :)

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I didn't expect a blog post about boredom to progress into a deep thought about Jesus. I don't know what it is about posts like this but for whatever reason my interest level just drops off as soon as "Him" is mentioned. No offense at all. I appreciate the fact that you all can write so passionately and unwaveringly like this, but I just can't get into it. So...I'm just sayin'... I don't mind it, I just don't quite get it.
That's my two cents, for what it's worth. ;)

Steve Fuller said...

Here's the real question: Why do people always say, "That's my two cents, for what it's worth?"

Isn't it worth two cents?

Not sure why people are confused about this. :)

Anonymous said...

ammers,
you love him don't you?
can you move here? like in february? that would be aweSOME - or can we just go to lima again? i feel the need for some karaoke

and annie - has your blog always been, here's my point?
and if so, where the heck have i been? that's awesome