Monday, May 19, 2008


In light of another's disparaging remark made last week, I thought I would take the time to set the record straight. I have in the past and will continue today and in the future to be a lover of vegetables. I think their contribution to my life has been unparalleled and I realize the value of my life has only increased with vegetables. I only speak highly of the vegetable, except for a time in my life when I experimented with mushrooms. I tried them sauteed, fried, roasted, braised, stewed and I maintain today that they are incompatible with my palate.


As a young girl, I enjoyed the cooked carrots. I have heard many a story that cooked carrots, strawberries and potatoes were the only foods I'd eat. Notice 2/3 of all consumed food in my formative years were vegetables.


To further demonstrate my affection for ground grown lovers of my soul, I will conclude with a list of my favorite...


broccoli
collard greens
dark green leafy lettuce
kale
mustard greens
romaine lettuce
radicchio
horseradish
spinach
carrots
black beans
black-eyed peas
garbanzo beans
kidney beans
lentils
navy beans
pinto beans
tofu
white beans
corn
artichokes
asparagus
rhubarb
ginger
wasabi
bean sprouts
cabbage
kohlrabi
cauliflower
celery
cucumbers
radishes
eggplant
all peppers
chilies
iceberg lettuce
all potatoes
onion
zucchini


Now please don't question my love for fruit.

2 comments:

Peggy Murphy said...

Whoops...

I was in error and I humbly apologize.
Although, I have never seen you eat even the occasional kale sandwich.

And a potato is NOT a vegetable. It is a starch that is my enemy.

Now that I think of it, I must have been thinking of SMM...and I know he eats the un-vegetable, potato and iceberg lettuce, but neither of them count.

How did iceberg lettuce get it's name?

ylmurph said...

What about arugala?

And I like uncooked carrots, radishes, onion, corn, uncooked spinach, and potatos are vegetables, but I'm not sure horseradish is...is it?