Sunday, October 29, 2006

Palindromedy


Monday is the first class party for the Murphy children. A Pumpkin Party to be exact where costumes, punch and candy flow freely. I get to go and help kindergarteners decorate sugar cookies to look like spooky spiders. I thought I'd go get a room full of 5 year olds all hopped up on sugar at 9:30 am and leave them with their teacher for the day, I like to help out however I can.

It is hard to believe that I have been a parent for close to 6 years and overwhelming to think that there will be class parties for nearly 2 more decades. Moms with older children tell me EVERY SINGLE DAY that I need to enjoy every moment now because they grow up so fast. I nod and listen and smile and say I will. And I will, I am. But the thought of freer time, flushed toilets, a shower and silence are so appealing.

From the moment our oldest child came onto the scene, I vowed to enjoy the every moment, to not look forward or back and wish for another time. For so long I did so well, I think I need to renew that vow. It is hard to not long for what another persons life seems like when I am wrapped up in my own.

Next time I feel taken for granted, unappreciated, and tired, I will look into the precious faces I see and be so thankful that I am in a position to watch those faces change everyday. I will stop apologizing that my house is a mess, my hair isn't brushed, my kids still have their jammies on at 3 pm and are eating pb & j for the third day in a row. People will be made to feel welcome mopped floor or not. Then I will call another sweatpants clad, disheveled, unshowered mommy and we will comfort each other between spilled juice, dirty diapers and untied shoes saying, "You are a great mommy doing a great job raising great kids and you're cute too."

6 comments:

jmjana said...

you are the best mom i have ever seen I will tell you that everyday and everyday after that...
and you're SUPER cute too!

Bragg said...

can i come live at your house, eat pb&j three days a week, and wear my jammies til 3 pm? that just sounds awesome.

sometimes i just long for the days when my only responsibility was to wake up, make my bed and be ready for bugs bunny on saturday morning...

Anonymous said...

i miss you terribly annie! when you were mentioning griffin coming on to the scene...made me think back to then. how crazy to think about how much time has passed! can't wait to see you again! love you...

Anonymous said...

Annie,
I've seen what a great mom you are and I know what a beautiful person you are, both inside and out.

Peggy Murphy said...

Does one HAVE to be an un-showered Mommy to tell you that you're doing a great job?
I'll tell you what...I won't brush ONE tooth and call Bailey, "Son"...does THAT count?

Liz said...

I think you are a great mom because when you welcome people into your home you still listen attentively to everything they are saying while tying shoes, making food, changing diapers, cleaning up spit up goo, etc. THAT is an amazing feat. You should be proud:) And duh you are adorable :)