Wednesday, October 18, 2006

The rest is history

It was like I was 14 getting ready for my first date to Homecoming at WHS. I was nervous and had butterflies and felt so giddy. I wondered if he'd think I was pretty and if he'd like what I was wearing. I wondered if I'd like the food at the restaurant. I wondered if he'd kiss me at the end of the date.

This isn't me penning the first chapter to some saucy novel, this was my night tonight. I got to go on a date with THE most handsome guy on the planet. I got to go on a date with the smartest, nicest, kindest, most caring, most creative, funniest man I've ever met. It just so happens that I am married to him as well. I was completely swept off my feet, again. It was like it was 1989 and I had just met Sean Michael Murphy for the first time.

(FYI the picture is supposed to artistically go here and invoke awwwws but I am still learning and couldn't be more frustrated.)

All the stars must have aligned because my husband and I actually got to have an evening to ourselves. Anyone who has kids can surely relate to thinking, "Maybe we can grab a bite, be alone and sit in a quiet house in ... 2022". But it actually happened tonight.

(BTDub, Palomino is awesome. It is "European bistro with a Mediterranean flair". It was yummy and Seans steak was so good and we got a free dessert since it was our first time there.)

As we ate, we talked and talked and talked with no interruptions except to be asked if our meals looked ok or did we want more bread. No crayons being chucked at my head, no elbows in my rib cage, no screaming for more grapes. And without sounding like the second chapter of the saucy novel, it was like there wasn't another person there. I literally looked around the restaurant at one point and realized it was completely full and there were folks waiting for tables. We also had a little relationship check up. We both came with lists of 3 things that are good in our marriage and three things we feel like need work. There was honesty and realness and connection like I haven't felt in months and months.

As we sat at our table with our diet cokes and honest words, I actually cried. Anyone who knows me is rereading that and realizing that really does say I cried. It wasn't all out ugly bawling but there were tears. I think they came from things I have been learning and feeling lately and some of those things are still really raw and close to the surface. And the best thing is that my man didn't look uncomfortable or look away or want to run, he sat there with me until they passed and then we dug into our creme brulee that we learned we don't like.

And now the third chapter, as we sat there, minute after minute, I was falling head over heels in love with the man across from me again. There was nothing that mattered except him.

The greatest part of the whole night is that I got to come home to the home we share, the aunts we love and the kids created out of our love and I got to crawl into bed and hold his hand until we fell asleep (but then I had to pee).

4 comments:

Liz said...

awwwwww:) what a sweet post (minus the pee part--but it did make me crack up at work :) )

jmjana said...

i think you and sean might be my favorite couple ever
Can I be like you when I grow up?

Peggy Murphy said...

sigh.

Steve Fuller said...

My life is good, too. Really good! I get to wake up every morning at 5:00am and make some soup. It's the best! I love it! I get to lay in a bed by myself all of my life. It's fantastic!