Tuesday, October 24, 2006

PSU 185



I didn't think I get a shower today let alone get time to sit at my computer but I just have to get this out.

I have had several great parenting moments and today was one. Two of the list toppers are that my kids love Chipotle and Graeters and that Griffin wants to wrestle. Today we are one step closer to junior high state champ, four time high school state champ, a full ride scholarship, OSU, PSU, IOWA, Iowa State, Oklahoma, any of those will do, and a four time NCAA champ. I don't think people realized how close Cooper was to being named Cael. Today, Sean signed Griffin up for the Lakota Kids Club wrestling program.

I think I may be the problem parent when it comes to sports. I have a psychotic competitive side that flares up every once in a while that you can see if you come to Peggys for a ping pong game. I want so badly to win, I want to be the best and known as the best. I don't want to do something if it isn't going to be great. I remember saying to Sean, "What is going to happen if our sons don't want to wrestle?" And he, the former wrestler, said, "I guess that wouldn't be all bad." I about frickin passed out. How could he say that? How could he abandon the sport I love! And then I realized that he may be the parent that cheers on their 103 pounder that could lose to a girl the same as the senior that can stare a guy onto his back.

I want to be a parent that loves my kids the same whether it is wrestling or chess. I want to love my kids whether they have all the accolades or get a participation certificate. I want to learn to support them whether it is what I want or what they want. I guess it comes down to loving in spite of their choices not because of their choices.

I think I know a parent that loves like that.

"You can tell for sure that you are now fully adopted as his own children because God sent the Spirit of his Son into our lives crying out, 'Papa! Father!' Doesn't that privilege of intimate conversation with God make it plain that you are not a slave, but a child? And if you are a child, you're also an heir, with complete access to the inheritance. "

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the same as the senior that can stare a guy onto his back"

And so goes the problem with wrestling. Guys on each others' back. Or better yet, the crotch-grab take down (not sure of its technical term, but that's what it looks like).

Try gymnastics... it works for you, Annie : O)

Annie Michael Murphy said...

Oh Katy, be the grasshopper to my sensei and you will learn.
And Minnesota would be good too.

Bragg said...

people mock what they do not understand. annie, you're great and i have a feeling that one of them will definitely enjoy beating on another kid.

if you're going to be one of those parents, please don't be the one that gets arrested at the tournament bc you have slammed the chair over the ref's back for making a terrible call. I can promise you it won't be the last one made in his career and he needs ot learn how to cope with that.

i promise you, if i read about you in the paper bc of something like that, then i'll not be your friend anymore and i'll take you off my blog page.

Liz said...

I dont get wrestling. My brother wrestled and my dad referees wrestling during the winter. I always feel sorry for the guy getting the crap beat out of him while wearing a snug fitting unitard. But it is a sport where a small guy can be athletic and competitive because he gets to compete against guys his own size. So I guess there's that...

Steve Fuller said...

I will destroy anyone who reads this blog at ping pong. Or beer pong. Or the computer game, pong.

Anyone.

Peggy Murphy said...

Do wrestlers need 55 year old cheerleaders?
What WILL I wear to the matches?

ylmurph said...

fuller, if you were to look up your ping pong ownership papers you'd find my name...

Annie Michael Murphy said...

Ooooh... I think the gauntlet has been thrown.

Liz said...

bring it on...no one could destroy me in ping pong...or any pong game for that matter (especially if we played partners and annie was mine :) cause our competitive natures would not accept defeat! )

Steve Fuller said...

Game on. Let's play for a thousand dollars.

(You see, anyone can talk smack...but who is willing to put their money where their mouth is?)

Bragg said...

Steve, she's a lawyer. If she doesn't already have the thousand dollars, it won't be long before she does and she can probably find a loophole to get your money even if you do win.

Maybe not a good idea to challenge brashear with a wager on anything.

Liz said...

i concur with bragg.

Annie Michael Murphy said...

I will bet anyone $5 right now that I can beat them. Thats right, 5 bucks. Except Sean. And his brother. And Jana because she cheats.

Anonymous said...

Interesting how Peggy is not on your list of who you can't beat, but I am...