Monday, May 14, 2007


I often think I need a billboard to get my attention, to really give me the encouragement or advice that I need. I really hope that there isn't someone like me in Chicago. It seems as though there is a law firm of women who put this up and have taken all kinds of heat since then. But the rebuttal I heard was these ladies said, "We aren't encouraging divorce, we're encouraging happiness."

And here is my $.02...

I don't think we to be encouraged in the arena of divorce. Marriage is already temporary to the better part of the United States. There is a big chunk who think, "Aw, I sure hope this prince charming doesn't turn into an annoying A-hole" knowing full well what they'll do if he does. I did a search to find the number of lawyers who handle divorces and ironically, it took me to LexisNexis! And as one lawyer friend can attest, there are plenty.

There are some people in my life who are flummoxed that I don't watch Grey's Anatomy. And I often find myself defending that decision to some people. And my thoughts are that I really don't need to see affairs and love triangles that seem so appealing and so tied up with a bow in an hour to help me honor my husband and my marriage.

So I am sticking to no Grey's and a little more definitive to Annie billboards.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I don't know the whole story behind this, but I do know the advertising of legal services is strictly regulated. I wouldn't be surprised if that firm, or the attorney who instigated this ad, has sanctions brought against them by the Illinois Bar and Disciplinary committee.

Generally, the most prestigious law firms, and those that bring in the most money, don't advertise.

While this firm may have been trying to "shake up" the boring world of legal advertising, it's incredibly insensitive and unprofessional, in my opinion. (this is completely aside from what is says about marriage, etc.)

Steve Fuller said...

Yes...stand up against Grey's Anatomy and their soap opera story lines!

Grey's = Garbage!

Anonymous said...

I was with you until you picked on My "Grey's"...

But then gain, it IS America and we shouldn't judge people's viewing choices.
Oh, by the way, have you heard about some show on that has to do with Ultimate or Extreme FIGHTING? I DO think that should be on everyone's speed dial remote..
Did you know that people who watch that show have a divorce rate more than 4 times the average? (Ok, I made that up just to hear a universal "NO WAY" from a crowd of many)

sheplaysamartin said...

i love grey's, but i totally respect your choice not to watch. i think you have a point. one could almost predict the way things are going with george and callie--marriages don't do well on the show. i know i could use a break from it from time to time...

Anonymous said...

It's a good message for people who are being treated badly by their spouses and keep putting off breaking up until tomorrow. A lot of people waste their lives with someone who treats them terribly and doesn't want to change. For those who are happy like you, Annie, count your blessings and don't take the billboard as if they're talking directly to you.