Tuesday, May 29, 2007

WE ARE


We are back in OH. I have lived in lots of states and I love being a Buckeye. I love Ohio State. I love Wooster. I love Cleveland, the Indians, Cedar Point, I love Mt. Adams, I love the Ohio River, I love watching the horses and buggies in Wayne County, I love the state fair, I love Mohican State Park, I love the Goodyear blimp, I love Lake Erie, I love Carillon Park, I love Coccia house pizza, I love the Barn, I love Annie Oakley's home, I love the Riverfront, I love 71.
-
But this past weekend in Pennsylvania made me realize there is another state that will keep part of my heart. It was a lot harder than I thought going back to PA, I miss it so much more than I realized. I love love loved our time there. The things that seemed so annoying when I was first a PA resident are the things that I miss. Number one, Pennsylvanians say P-A, not Pennsylvania, no other state that I know of refers to their state by their initials. Number two, the inflection when PA peeps ask a question, if you've heard it, you know what I mean. Instead of going up at the end, it goes up in the middle and down at the end. Annoying indeed but now endearing.
-
I guess that's how it always goes. The further removed from something we are the greater it becomes, sort of like Godfather's pizza. But I miss PA. I miss my friends, I miss Wegmans, the Autoport, Steeler fans, I miss climbing Mt Nittany with Katy ;) , I miss my church of which we are technically still members, I miss 14 deer in our yard, oddly enough, I miss our old house and especially our neighborhood and listening to the football games from our porch. We got to walk through our old house since friends bought it, it was definitely a little weird. As Sean and I were driving through the Happy Valley, we realized part of what we miss so much. State College is beautiful. Aesthetically State College beats the crap out of southern Ohio.
-
I know things aren't the same there. Stuff changes. Life continues on whether the Murphy's address is 124 Oakmont Rd with an amazing view of Beaver Stadium or not. That in itself stings a little...
-
So here's to PA, the place that offered such hope, happiness and recovery for me. Sigh.
-
-
"If God isn't a Penn State fan, why is the sky blue and white?"

5 comments:

Kristen Robbins Warren said...

i like your thoughts.

jmjana said...

i kinda miss the pigs that were next door
and i REALLY miss the voice inflection. i had that nailed

thanks for moving to PA...i dont know if i would have made it without you :) and thanks for moving back :)
life is good.

Anonymous said...

WHATEVER.

Anonymous said...

mount nitney kicked our a double snakes... especially after the first beware of bear sign... ha ha:) miss you

Stacy said...

It was so good (so good, said with emphasis, as though I really mean it) to see our long lost murphys. I only wish that you never moved away. Man, the stuff we cold have done here in Happy Valley...