Friday, December 15, 2006

bffaeaeaeae


We have some best friends of life we have known close to 10 years. Since the day we met them, we have loved them. Life gets busy and schedules fill up so lots of our time together is over the telephone wires.

But not tonight! Tonight we get to see them, eat dinner with them and just be with them. I can't wait. I love these people, love them. My husband loves them, Cooper and Parker love them. But of all of us, I don't know if any of us love them the way Griffin does. Griffin and Maddy have been buddies since they were born. Griffin still emphatically declares his love for her and talks of their marriage. Both kids say they want to marry each other but they don't want to have to kiss. If given the choice of playmates, he will always pick Maddy first.

Because of their love, I have realized I am all for arranged marriages. With the track record of marriages lately, I think a little wisdom and experience of people a little further down the road is so valuable. I find the same in my parenting too. I want my children to listen to me and learn from the crap I've done and trust me that they don't know better than me. I want them to be safe and I want them to be healthy and protected and I feel like I can probably see things differently than they can. When heartbreak comes, I want to say, "I know your heart hurts. You are 14, you will be ok." And when school gets in the way, I want to say, "Press on, this is so much more important than hanging at the mall." When a soccer match is lost, I want to say, "Oh honey, I know this stinks but you are so much more than a soccer player." I guess I want to let them know I have been there, I know what its like and I want to tell them, "Believe me, I know life hurts, I've been there. But trust me, I am on your side, I love you and I am looking at the bigger picture."

This time of year reminds me of the crux of my faith, Jesus being born into this world. On a tiny, tiny scale, my love for my kids represents the way God feels about every person on this Earth. Every person, no matter what, regardless of dumb stuff we may or may not have done. Every person whether "good" or "bad". Every person going to church on Sunday or not. He really knows better than I and sees my whole life when I see today. Maybe sometime in the next couple weeks, think about it.

"You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High." Luke 1:31-32

2 comments:

Wes & McKenzie Brooks said...

Wow, what a great picture. Whoever took that must be some kind of aesthetic genius...

or maybe the kids are just really cute.

Annie Michael Murphy said...

they said some weirdo guy ran up to them and snapped the pic