Monday, December 04, 2006

Faith like a child


Griffin, Cooper, Parker, Peggy, Susan and I just got back from Sharon Woods and seeing the Holiday in Lights. Sharon Woods is such a great place no matter what time of year but last night was awesome. We drove through the park and looked at thousands and thousands and thousands of Christmas lights and displays.

I definitely have mixed feelings about Christmas-time. She and I have a love/hate relationship. But tonight I loved her. I got to see my kids eyes literally lit up with wonder and excitement. Griffin was screaming out the window, "This is awesome!" We set no land speed records as we crept through the park and even backed up at times to look at things twice. We all took turns sharing what our favorite display was, there was everything from a candy cane ferris wheel, to a sledding bunny. There were dozens of Santas and snowy snowing snowflakes.

Coopers favorite without a doubt, was the airplanes. One was flying with a bag of presents and his favorite favorite was the Santa flying the plane and dropping presents to the ground. For the entire ride, he just kept saying, "Ooooooooh!" and "Ohhhhhhhhh!" He would clap his little hands and cheer for these lights that in his little life, were magical, but in my adult reality, it was lights along a road that reminded me of all the stuff I have to do in the next few weeks. It did wonders for my heart that is so caught up in my junk, my worry, my stress to be able to watch my kids enjoy something so simple.

There is much to be said about the mind of a child. Trust, enjoyment and fun are exactly that, love comes so easily. I realize in so many ways I need to adopt the ways of my kids, I don't want to stay a child, I want to grow up and do grown up things. But at times, I think we could all stand to remember the simplicity, innocence and pure joy of being a child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a SUPER night and you were a kid and adult simultaneously (and at the smae time)...

Note - this commenter happens to believe that one can do both at all times...
Evidentiary example...SUZER.

Anonymous said...

i would have LOVED that....do they do lights at the zoo around here??