Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Thermometers and Questions


This has to be quick, it is another sick day in our house and I smell a dirty diaper somewhere.

I wonder how conversations get misconstrued. What all plays into that? Is it inferring things or implying things or insecurity or defensiveness or just poor communication skills? I'm guessing some of us are better communicators than others. Some of us can really explain why the sky is blue and others of us can barely explain while wearing a blue shirt what blue is. How does the human relationship part fit in? Some of you are better equipped to answer the technical stuff of this so here's your forum.

I feel like several times in the last few days I have heard about or had conversations that I felt went so sideways and now I am not sure what to do with them. Hmmm...

5 comments:

Bragg said...

well since you asked, the sky is blue because of refraction.

as light rays from the sun enter our atmosphere, they "bend" upon hitting the particles that make up said atmosphere. All colors of the spectrum then make it through with the exception of the blue color, which is reflected by the particles and we see a blue sky.

Think of a rainbow, only the ROYGIV is trapped inside the drop of water and only blue gets projected.

How could this be related to your post? Maybe like particles, we have our own makeup and properties which allow us to absorb and/or reflect certain colors of the spectrum. White light (all colors) may be entering, but only one part (color) of the spectrum is emitted.

Call it selective hearing, selective speaking, selective whatever, at the end of the day, the biases and perceptions we have often speak over the objectivity we should possess. And just as pollution changes the color of the sky from blue to brown (again, more physics of light), it can change the look of ourselves.

Bragg said...

oh, yeah...

i'm a huge nerd. that should save fuller the comment.

Steve Fuller said...

You're not a huge nerd...you just know how to use google, and cut & paste.

Anonymous said...

Sorry the kids are still sick - you have my sympathy.

As far as conversations go, I really have no words of wisdom - but can offer to you that I have found myself in that situation many times and it seems that the more I try to explain what I meant the more crazy it gets. I never know what to do with that....Anyway, just wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Bragg said...

sorry fuller, that's not a cut and paste job. I knew that, mainly because I just taught that to one of my students, but because I'm a nerd like that.

yeah i said it. what, you wanna fight about it?